Friday, June 5, 2009

Writers Workshop: Giving this a try...

So my sister follows this blog called Mama's Losin' It. It is actually pretty interesting, and she has these "writer workshop's" she posts, and you are suppose to do it every Thursday. Well, it is Friday, but I am a "newbie", and she says it is never too late to jump in..so I'm jumpin' in on a Friday! Thought I would give it a try, and If I like it, would continue to do so! For my first time, I posted instructions and all, but after that, I will only post the Prompt I choose to write about!

Your Assignment, Should You Choose To Accept

Directions:
For you newbies it's never to late to jump in!! Here is what you must do. Choose a prompt that inspires you most. Write. Come back Thursday and paste your blog URL into the Mister Linky that will be up...this way anyone can click on your name and head over to your place to see what you wrote.

Feel free to write on more than one prompt if you so desire. I do it all the time, but it's my game...and I don't know how to shut-up...so it should be expected. And remember the more comment love you give, the more comment love you get so comment comment away.

The Prompts:

1.) If you could cut back on something in your life that takes up your time what would it be? And what would you prefer to spend that time doing?
(inspired by Lady Isra)

2.) Share a recent adventure you had with a friend.
(inspired by Amy)

3.) Describe a memorable gift. Why was it important to you?
(Inspired by Kit Kat)

4.) If you could change career paths now and be anything you wanted to be...what would you be and why?
(inspired by Lauren)

5.) Kim's email:


In the St. Louis News-Dispatch paper, they had an article of a man who wrote his own obituary before his death, and gave it to his sister to post when he died. He summed life up in 45 words:

(Click here to read his words).

I know it's a morbid subject, but what about a prompt about what would one's obit say, with a word limit. You could stipulate that everyone died at 100, so we'd all be predicting what our future would be like.


So there you have it. Sum up life in 45 words. :) Happy happy.
(Inspired by Kim)

If you would like to join in on the fun visit her blog at Mama's Losin' It



So I chose to write about number 4. If you could change career paths now and be anything you wanted to be...what would you be and why?

Well this is actually a really simple one for me! I have been a stay at home Mommy for the past 8 years. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my kids to death, but I don't feel that I am SAHM material. The first few years I loved every single moment of it, but now I have got to the point, that I feel I just am stuck in a rut. I want more out of my life. I want to feel like I go out in the world and make a difference. Well this fall with be my chance.

My husband got selected to be a recruiter for the Marine Corps. We are going to be stationed up in Washington state, near his family, and it is going to give me the opportunity to go back to college, not that I spent much time there to begin with! I am going to find a great community college that offers a two year nursing program. Since we will only be stationed in WA for 2 and a half years, I figure I need to get my two year degree to begin with. Once I get that degree, I figure I will start working part time, and go to whatever college that happens to be close to our next duty station, part time, to finish up my 4 year nursing degree. After accomplishing that, I will continue to go to school and work part time, and get my masters as a Nurse Midwife. It is a really long term goal, but something that I have had my heart set on for quite a few years now. My husband is looking at retirement from the Marine Corps in just a little over 10 years, so I feel as long as I get my Midwife degree within 10 years, we will be doing great, although planning on having it within 6 years, if all goes how I have planned!

I just feel that as a Midwife, I will be making a difference in these women's lives. I feel that so many doctor's, and some Midwife's that I have encountered through the Naval Hospital, are so wrapped up in what they are doing, that they forget about the women they are treating. I want to be that Midwife that takes the time to explain everything to the woman. Walk her through step by step on what is going on with her changing body, what to expect, and to also take the time to befriend her, and let her know she has someone she can really trust. There are so many pregnant women out there that have no idea WHAT is going on with their body, and when they ask the doctor, they just brush them off, like they are not important enough to take the time to explain it to them, and then some of the women are just too afraid to ask. I want to empower women to realize that it is THEIR bodies, THEIR birth experiences, and that these doctors are not in control, that they are, and to help them understand their choices in these matters. Just ready to make a difference in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment